Thursday, August 21, 2008

our pathetic pleasures

I'm very sorry to say that we humans seem to derive amusment from the smallest, most irrelevant happenings.




If you laughed at this very hilarious video, my point is proven.
The baby bit his brother's finger and caused him pain. So what? Well, it's funny. Pain is funny. The kid's face as he realises This Hurts! is funny.

We all get a thrill out of insignificant things. For instance, two days ago I was paid $30 from my babysitting job. My mother and I went to Target for a few supplies and I thought, Hell, I can get whatever I want!
So in the freezer aisle, I picked up the Toaster Strudels (Raspberry, if you must know) and waved them in her face.
"I'm gonna buy 'em! Watcha gonna do about it?" I danced around a little and threw them in the cart. She never used to let me get those things, ever.
"You're really pathetic, you know? Getting all excited over that." She laughed and shook her head.
Oh, well... Whatever.

Yesterday my little American Eskimo saw a hot air balloon that was dangerously close to the ground. He peed and zipped to the backyard. Now I nearly peed because I was laughing so hard. How sad. I sure wasn't laughing later when we figured that Juneau had taken the escape route a couple blocks down because he was so freaked.

Now, I must ask: If what we usually laugh at is pretty stupid, what IS funny, then?

5 comments:

Miss Ive said...

Dearest Miss Fatale,

Ummmm. . .Toaster Strudel, especially the raspberry variety, IS EXCITING!

And I did laugh at that 'biting' video, a lot.

Do not know the answer to what is 'really' funny, but do know the answer to what is 'really fun'—dancing with family. Such a great time with you girls. Still laughing. Feet HURT!!!

E. Fatale said...

Ah, that was the best night EVER!
My feet are grand, but my abdominals, however...

Miss Ive said...

Hey!

I'm posting on you tomorrow. I was planning on setting up the link so that people would go directly to the piece you wrote about love. If you would rather write something new and have me just link to the most recent one or to your site in general, send me quick note. I don't write until late at night. You can call, too.

Love,
M.I.

Unknown said...

I love that video! I can't tell you how many times I have watched it. So funny.

How long did it take to finish the box of toaster strudel? I'm guessing a few hours.

E. Fatale said...

I had around two each morning.
Haha
And then I blamed mum when one box went missing.
But then I remembered that I finished it off.
Oops.

-Fatale.